Waitlisted for Wharton Round 2

“I put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There’s only one thing you should know…”

Linkin Park

It’s technically not true, but in my opinion, getting waitlisted is in a lot of ways worse than a ding.  Great.  All that stress I went through and thought would be finally over today just continues.  For all I know, I could be the next one line to get in, or at the very bottom of a list a mile long.  My life is still in limbo.

I had friends last year who sat on their waitlist statuses right up until the school year began.  None of them got through.  And with the competition this year, I doubt there’s going to be much room for people waiting to get in.

So if I equate this outcome to a ding, and assuming Stanford is ding as well, I’m essentially down to my last app.  I’m hanging by a thread now.  One more spin of the wheel.  One more roll of the dice.  I’m used to equating the admissions process to a marathon or some great battle.  Now I use games chance.  🙁

I’m thinking about applying to Columbia for their April round, just in case.  Columbia seems to have fewer essay requirements and I could probably turn around an app in the time allotted.  But then again, I really don’t know if I can stomach another business school application.  Also, the fact that I might be stuck at my job even longer is making me loathe my work even more.

I am so sick of the admissions process right now.

13 thoughts on “Waitlisted for Wharton Round 2”

  1. I am in the exact same situation as you are and it is excruciating. Trying to decide between rd 3 or rd1 next year. Good luck with Columbia!

  2. Ha – I might as well have written this post myself. I got dinged from HBS and CBS, wait-listed at Wharton, and all things point to Stamford dinging me as well. WTF!!! If I don’t get in anywhere, I might roam the world in search of purpose, like a karate master or a shift-less hobo (fine line in between them, in fact). Best of luck to all of you!

  3. Hi Mark – I’ve been reading your blog for several months and I just wanted to offer you some words of support. I too got dinged from CBS (w/ an interview) and HBS w/o an interview (and I went to the college for undergrad and have donated and raised LOTS of money since then, but I digress…), and have heard nothing from Stanford. It’s tough and it sucks. However, I will say that two of my friends who are 1st years at Stanford got their interview invites within a week of the decision deadline, so keep hope alive! Also, I know some people who were WL’d at Wharton Rd1 and got in yesterday, so hopefully they’ll have some spots open up. I’d definitely schedule a visit, write an update letter, try to get more letters of recc’s to send them, etc. I know ppl who pestered there way off WL’s at HBS and Wharton in the past, so it could work. Also, UCLA is still in play, right? I know they are in process of releasing decisions, so I’ll be crossing my fingers for you!

Leave a Comment